Are you curious about Shanghai’s nighttime food scene? As the the sun sets and the woks fire up along the city’s fast-disappearing food streets, you’ll sample authentic dishes from two night markets, while sitting down at three tasting locations. While walking along the tour route in Shanghai’s Old Town, you’ll see how locals live in some of the city’s oldest neighborhoods – before the wrecking ball turns this area into high-rise apartment buildings.
- Start Time6, 7 or 8pm
- Finish Time3 hours later
- Meeting PlaceExact tour start meeting point instructions emailed upon booking - tour starts 15 min. walk south of People's Square at the NE corner of Xizang Nan Lu & Shouning Lu
- PriceAdults US$70
Children (6-12) US$35
- WhenEvery night of the week
- InclusionsMore than twenty dishes from six locations at three seated tasting stops, unlimited local beer & spirits, bilingual guide, post-tour Shanghai welcome pack with helpful restaurant recommendations, local travel tips & so much more to help make your stay in Shanghai the best
- Ground Covered2 km (1.2 miles)
Discover the best way to eat the classic Shanghai pan-fried soup dumplingshengjianbao without burning your tongue – you’ll use this tip again and again while in China!
Experience local butchering street-side with deep-fried water snake, an exotic local treat, that tastes better than you expect – trust us.
Dive hands-first into the local market scene with stewed crawfish (yabbies) and grilled vegetable dishes with a special spice mix from Northwest China.
Sample delicious fruit puddings from Hong Kong.
Watch a culinary magician hand-pulled noodles from a block of dough in seconds.
Try the sweet pastry that was voted Shanghai’s best bing.
Find out why the fat-tailed sheep is one of the most prized for its flavor when you chow down on the lamb kebabs grilled by a Chinese Muslim minority.
Taste Shanghai’s most famous wontons smothered in an addictive peanut sauce.
Enjoy breakfast for dinner at a late-night soymilk stall.
Give your tastebuds a buzz with the fragrant spice from the Sichuan peppercorn at a local.
Get sauced on the local beers and the world’s most popular liquor – you’ve never had anything quite like this before.
We’ll tantalize your tastebuds and leave your belly full or we’ll refund your ticket, no questions asked!
*Each tour has 3 rotating seated stops offering a tasting of ~ 15-20 dishes.*
Vegetarians are more than welcome and will find plenty to eat. We will make substitutions where possible.
Vegans will have a more limited selection, but we are able to make some substitutions + add in more veggies at one stop.
Celiac disease we are not able to make substitutions for those with celiacs disease as soy sauce is very prevalent in our tour stops.
Nut/shellfish allergies – This tour serves shellfish at one stop. We are able to substitute the dishes out for you, but those with extreme allergies should reconsider joining, as we will not substitute the stop entirely. Nut allergies have not been a problem in the past, however we cannot guarantee that the utensils and other cooking tools have not touched any of the food tour ingredients. Please bring your epi pen or other meds to the tour if you choose to participate.
*Please note on some tours we may stop for fried water snake, including watching it be prepped & cleaned for cooking.
- Squads: This Night Market tour was absolutely brilliant. So much food to try and most of it was delicious...
- Thomas K: Five+ stars! We got a great value: considering the food, drinks, coordination, knowledgeable guide, and vetting...
- kmcc2016: The evening market tour was terrific...We ducked into small restaurants and stood on street corners where we sampled...